Thursday 23 February 2012

Doctors make the worst patients.

It's easier to tell your patients to do this and do that..
Than being told to do this and do that..
Do u know the most difficult thing is compliance to take your medications on time ?
At least for me.
And i only have to take 2 tablets.
Imagine those who have to take 7 different tablets at different times a day.
Not to mention the insulin jabs the diabetics have to endure each meal time.
Being in a hospital when you are the doctor is not as scary as being in the hospital as a patient.
Firstly because - doctors poke, patients get poked. Haha.
A lot of times i will get this from the doctors who came to poke me : You poke people everyday, so why should u be scared of being poked ?
Because i can feel the pain - Duh.
And i am such a pain.
I always warn them - only one prick please.
Or worse - If you are not confident please call someone else.
I pick my own veins for them to poke.
I choose the size of the needle.
I hang up my own drip.
I give my own medications via the drip.
I requested my own medications.
If possible i won't let anyone touch me unnecessarily.
All in all - I am my own bloody doctor a.k.a - a PAIN.

But one important lesson learnt throughout my experience as a patient :
It is really therapeutic to be attended by nice doctors who empathise and sympathise with what u are going through.
So what was taught during health in society back in med school really makes sense to me now - i can relate to it.
And it doesn't take a lot of effort or time - just a nod, a warm smile, a pat on the shoulder, a kind word.
And it does make a big difference and goes a long way.
So let's all be better doctors. And better patients. Heh..

No comments:

Post a Comment